Level empowers people to build and grow microbusinesses with the financial OS they need to thrive. With significant traction and an exciting trajectory, this is a unique opportunity to join an A+ team led by industry veterans. Fresh on the heels of a compelling seed round backed by top-tier VCs, you will be well positioned to shape the direction of the business and enable millions of microbusinesses to succeed. You will help us achieve our vision of a world where the smallest businesses have the biggest opportunities.
Opportunity: Calling all experienced engineering leaders whose primary motivation is solving real problems, who see excellent engineering management as a way to have a true impact on our customers' lives and always making customer needs- and data-driven decisions your top priority. This is an opportunity to lead a growing, diverse team from the ground up and help us build the future of Level. As Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for building a world-class engineering organization and growing and managing an engineering organization dedicated to delivering elegant technical solutions that serve our customers. Your work is interwoven with product, and you will report to the VP of Product and Engineering.
What you will do
- Establish, evangelize, and embed a culture of engineering excellence
- Set the direction and roadmap for your teams, and be accountable for quarterly and yearly results
- Drive resource allocation decisions about how teams and projects are staffed to ensure sustainability for the engineering team and alignment with company strategy
- Create a repeatable process of execution estimates
- Balance tradeoffs between practical, incremental release mentality with long-term architectural considerations
- Thoughtfully design transparency within the engineering team and across the organization
- Partner closely with product and business development in account management activities involving high-judgment technical decisions
- Ensure execution by building high-quality products, while also hitting determined dates and accurately forecasting updates to the timeline as it changes
- Develop an engineering team that has a passion for building what our customers need and live our mission and values
- Ensure the engineering team has visibility and input into the company’s strategic goals, visions for long-term impact and core customer needs, and that these translate into engineering goals
- Serve on the company leadership team and co-develop company strategy in partnership with co-founders and leadership
- Act as guardian of engineering morale
What you will bring
- Engineering or similar degree
- 5+ years of technical leadership experience with a track record of delivering complex technical solutions in fast-paced environments
- 5+ years managing high-performing engineering teams in a high-growth environment and collaborating effectively with product teams
- Expertise in financial technology
- Direct experience growing high-performance engineering teams
- Direct experience in software design and development
- Experience hiring Engineers at all levels
- Experience working with executives to align technical goals with business goals
- Proven ability to plan and execute complex projects with good judgment about resource requirements and tradeoffs and strong project management skills
- Initiate and foster effective and high-impact collaboration between multiple functions, technical and non-technical
- Knowledgeable about industry trends and best practices
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- A passion for our company mission is essential
What we offer
Our people are our greatest asset, and we treat them well:
- Unlimited paid time off
- Health, dental, and vision benefits + 401k plan with company matching
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Stock Options
- Remote opportunities anywhere is the US
- Virtual events to connect with, learn from and have fun with Team Level!
We believe that we have the power to build a world where the smallest businesses have the biggest opportunities:
- Team Level is a passionate group of purpose-driven fintech experts.
- We’re just getting started! We are growing rapidly as we redefine financial services to power microbusiness growth.
- Our customers and partners love us, and we love them back. You can sleep soundly knowing you are adding positively to the world by getting our services into more hands.
- We treat one another like we treat our customers: with respect and dignity. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are cultural values we take very seriously, and we welcome and recruit team members of all backgrounds and identities.
This role is of critical importance to the long-term success of Level. As one of the early employees in a rapidly growing startup, you will be rewarded with equity, an unparalleled learning and growth experience and competitive compensation.
Level is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, which we believe strengthens our team and contributes to Level being an amazing place to work. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants from all backgrounds. Level will never discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or any other status.
We’d love to hear from you if you are enthusiastic about our mission to empower microbusinesses to thrive, are eager to shape our direction and are seeking a unique opportunity to have an outsized impact. Learn more at www.levelgoals.com.